It’s never a convenient time for your plumbing to break. However, you can avoid a costly emergency plumbing repair with a little planning and organization. Knight’s Mechanical has put together a few tips to help you prevent a plumbing catastrophe.
Common Plumbing Emergencies
What is a plumbing emergency? If you’ve never experienced clogged drains and toilets, or flooding from burst frozen pipes, consider yourself lucky. At some point, almost every homeowner must deal with septic backups, loss of hot water, and other major or minor plumbing emergencies.
Here are a few things you can do to avoid most preventable plumbing situations:
- Flushing your water heater every year involves draining the tank. Sediment can accumulate in the tank if you don’t flush it regularly. Doing this maintenance prevents a premature breakdown, noisy water heater and hot water shortages.
- Using water filtration measures can reduce plumbing issues as well. Heavy metals, minerals and chemicals in your municipal water source often cause corrosion that can damage your appliances and pipes. Extend the life of your pipes and keep your dishwasher and water heater running longer by implementing a water filtration system.
- Insulating your pipes to avoid freezing can save you a lot of hassle and even more money. Follow other measures to avoid freezing pipes in the winter, so you don’t have to pay for new pipes.
Other Maintenance That Can Prevent Plumbing Emergencies
Here are some other simple ways to prevent a plumbing disaster:
- Run water down the garbage disposal to flush it out.
- Install drain guards, so food doesn’t accumulate and clog the drains.
- Don’t pour cooking oil down the drain.
- Avoid hanging clothing and other items from exposed pipes. Pipes aren’t designed to bear weight, and you could contribute to a broken pipe.
- If you do have a clogged drain, schedule a professional drain-cleaning service.
Maintenance plans are a great way to stay proactive and help prevent plumbing emergencies. After all, an ounce of prevention can save a ton of money in plumbing repairs. Ask your plumber about the right maintenance plan to protect your home’s plumbing systems.
Knight’s Mechanical offers emergency services when inevitable plumbing problems arise despite your best efforts. Our well-trained plumbers respond promptly and provide a 30-day guarantee on parts and labor. While working, we wear booties to protect your floors and respect your home and property.