Do you know the warning signs that you need to fix or replace your furnace? Perhaps your home never properly heats up or your electricity bill suddenly skyrockets. A corroded flue, knocking sounds coming from your furnace, poor air quality, and endless stopping and starting all indicate that you need to think about furnace repair services.
When You Should Call an HVAC Company
It’s sometimes hard to tell if your problem warrants a call to a reputable HVAC company. Here’s how to decide between furnace repair and replacement.
When should I repair my HVAC?
Call for service if your HVAC have any of the following signs:
- Your furnace goes from running quietly to making lots of weird noises such as banging, groaning or whining.
- Turning up the heat fails to warm up your home.
- The electricity bill goes up quickly. This may indicate an inefficient unit that warrants immediate furnace repairs.
- The pilot light is yellow. A blue flame indicates a good balance of gases. Off-color flames may indicate high carbon monoxide levels, which present a danger to your family.
- Members of your family develop allergies, asthma and other respiratory illnesses. These are signs of poor indoor air quality that could come from a malfunctioning furnace.
- A lot of condensation forms inside your windows.
- Leaks and puddles form around the furnace.
When should I consider replacing my HVAC?
- If your furnace is over 10 years old and you notice any of the signs above, it might make more sense to upgrade to a newer model. The average home furnace lasts 15 to 20 years.
- If you have repaired the current unit multiple times or paid for furnace repairs in the last two years, you should consider the pros and cons of replacing your unit.
- Cracked pipes, structural damage and other major damage typically requires replacing the unit.
Proper maintenance avoids major damage and prolongs the useful life of your furnace. For affordable furnace repairs, contact the HVAC company that homeowners in Elizabethtown and Glasgow, Kentucky, trust with all their furnace repair and installation needs. Knight’s Mechanical recommends regular inspections and cleanings. To sign up for bi-annual maintenance, contact us today.