I am building a new house and wanted to know what size water heater should I buy?
Usually people base their water heater purchase on the size of the storage tank. A better method is to first estimate how much hot water you will need during the peak hour of use. This is referred to as the first-hour rating (FHR) on the Energy Guide label posted on new water heaters.
Typical hot water use is:
- Bathing 15-25 gallons per bath
- Cleaning house 5-12 gallons
- Food preparation 1-6 gallons
- Running clothes in the washer 25-40 gallons
- Running dishwasher 5-20 gallons
- Shaving 1-3 gallons
- Showering 3 gallons per minute
- Washing Dishes 4-6 gallons
- Washing hands ½ to 2 gallon